Guide To Satellite-based Solutions
Satellite communications have distinct benefits over terrestrial alternatives:
- UNIVERSAL: Satellite communications are available virtually everywhere. A small constellation of satellites can cover the Earth's entire surface. And even the reach of a single satellite is far more extensive than what any terrestrial network can achieve.
- VERSATILE: Satellites can support all of today's communications needs - transactional and multimedia applications, video, voice, cellular networks, entertainment and breaking news.
- Bring broadband to the last mile of residences and businesses.
- Overcome regulatory issues that make alternative carriers dependent on incumbents.
- Deliver a communications infrastructure to areas where terrestrial alternatives are unavailable, unreliable or simply too expensive.
- RELIABLE: Satellite is a proven medium for supporting a company's communications needs. Whereas terrestrial IP networks are often a mix of different networks and topologies, with different level of congestion and latency. Satellite networks are extremely predictable allowing constant and uniform quality of service to hundreds of locations, regardless of geography.
- SEAMLESS: Satellite's inherent strength as a broadcast medium makes it ideal for the simultaneous distribution of bandwidth-intensive information to hundreds or thousands of locations.
- FAST: Unlike most terrestrial alternatives, satellite networks can be rolled out quickly and inexpensively to hundreds or thousands of locations, connecting cities or remote locations across a large landmass, where copper or fiber is cost prohibitive. Since satellite networks can be set up quickly, companies can be fast-to-market with new services.
- EXPANDABLE: Satellite networks are easily scalable, allowing users to expand their communications networks and their available bandwidth easily. In coordination with local vendors, expanding a network on the ground requires the ordering of new terminal components and the commissioning of increased bandwidth at each site.
- FLEXIBLE: Satellites can be easily integrated to complement, augment or extend any communications network, helping overcome geographical barriers, terrestrial network limitations and other constraining infrastructure issues.